Investment experts have long recommended that any diversified portfolio have some allocation to physical precious metals such as gold and silver in bar or coin form (metrowestpreciousmetals.com/products) for the following reasons:
- They have been a store of wealth for over 5000 years
- They help you maintain purchasing power
- They are extremely private
- They are physical assets that you can hold in your hand in an increasingly digital world
- They help protect against currency debasement from central banks and over-indebted governments
- They serve as a hedge against traditional paper assets
- They possess no counterparty risk, which is becoming increasingly important as many financial institutions continue to take on undue risk and leverage.